W.H. ‘Curly’ Russell
Curly Russell was not a family member. He trained as a cabinet maker at Shoreditch College in London under the direction of Percy Wells, who suggested he should join the Gordon Russell workshops which he did in 1924, initially as a cabinet maker.
Gordon Russell recognised his potential as a designer and in 1926 he moved into the drawing office as assistant to Gordon, who by then, in the absence of his brother Dick, was hard pressed with the overall management of the workshops.
In 1934, in succession to Dick Russell and David Booth, he became chief designer until his retirement in 1972.
He was widely recognised as an outstanding designer. Over a period of 40 years he made a major contribution to the success of the firm, through both his own designs and also the management of the drawing office, quite often 10 strong.