Trained as an architect at the Architectural Association School of Architecture and joined Dick Russell’s practice to work on the Lion and Unicorn building at the Festival of Britain Exhibition in 1951.
Formed an architectural partnership with Dick Russell and Ian Hodgson as Russell, Hodgson and Leigh. They were engaged principally in furniture design, hotels, museums, ships and offices, both building and complete interiors.
In 1967 he left the practice to join Gordon Russell Limited as Design Director, subsequently becoming Managing Director, until he was appointed Chairman in 1984.
A past Master of the Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers, Ray Leigh has been awarded the MBE for service to the Furniture Industry.